Initially, we made enquiries about a direct flight from the United States into the UK with one of the approved airlines. We could hardly believe that moving a pet to the UK would be so difficult, and potentially quite unsettling for our pets and we were very pleased to discover Pet Moves’ service and avoid all the hassel. This is what you would need to do to fly into the UK with your pet without Pet Move’s help:
- If your flight is during the summer months phone your airline to check when your pet is permitted to fly (some Airlines have a no fly time when you can not fly your pets to the UK)
- Phone the pet cargo center to ensure that they have a space for your pets.
- Then phone the airline to book your flight
- Phone pet cargo again to actually book your pet’s flight. You will have to have the following information to book their flight:
- Actual size of the container and its weight
- The weight of your pet
- On the day of the flight bring your pet to the Cargo Center five hours before the flight
- If the weight and size of the container and your pet is inaccurate some airlines may turn you away!
- Pay for your pet’s flight (this amount can in some cases be more than the cost of your ticket)
- Leave your pet at the Cargo Center
- Your pet will be transported to the UK in the hold of an aircraft (not necessarily the one you’re flying on)
When you arrive at Heathrow you will have to go and collect your pets at the Animal Center, which is not at “Arrivals” in Heathrow but in another part of the Airport. Here you will have to wait until they have checked all your papers and then you have to pay them a large amount of money over and above what you paid for their flight. Sometimes your pet’s papers won’t be ready until the following day, so you will have to stay overnight somewhere near the Animal Center.